Travel from Thailand to New Zealand.

posted in: Chris | 2

We have been really busy lately and have not been able to post much. Some people may wonder about our flights. I consider what we did with several of them to be “hacks”. However, we have sacrificed some convenience to save money. This is always easy to do from behind the laptop but at the moment of truth you may wish you had reconsidered.

Our goal was to leave the beach/island area of Southern Thailand and end up in New Zealand. We were in Krabi, Thailand or near there. So we took the long tail boat from East Railay to Ao Naang. From there we rode a songthaew, which means two benches. This is basically a cheap Thai taxi. Seems a step safer than a tuk-tuk. It is a modified diesel pickup, usually Isuzu, with a cover over the bed and two benches. They can cram a bunch of people in there and they drop people off as the route is best for the driver. They cost about fifty cents per ride which is great. So we rode around in the songthaew for quite some time, finally getting to our hotel in Krabi.

We left the next morning at 6:30 and made it to the airport. Flight left at 8:20. We found out that Air Asia, a popular discount airline used Kuala Lumpur (KUL) as a hub. We found much cheaper flights when we booked one ways through KUL.

So now we were in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia and our next flight didn’t leave until 11:10 pm. We planned to spend the day in the city, but Alison’s foot didn’t allow her to walk all day and then fly 12 more hours on a plane. Ella didn’t really want to go anyway, so the girls stayed at Starbucks and Walden and I ventured into the city.

I tried to take a selfie, but I don’t know what I’m doing. The kids are trying to teach me how. I think they are just born knowing how to do it these days.

So we took the fastest train in South East Asia into the city and it was super nice. After riding the rickety Thai trains this thing was silky smooth and fast. 28 minutes with no stops to KL Central.

Then we took some small subway a few stops to KLCC, the city center.

Our goal was to see the Petronas Towers. One of the taller buildings in the world and the tallest twin tower in the world.

These buildings are icons of the city and very beautiful to see.

In between the towers is a huge shopping mall. This was interesting for people watching. Right away the Islamic influence was apparent.

These girls looked about Walden’s age and I found this interesting.

This mall is world class. One floor had all the big names of fashion around the world. Prada, Gucci, Rolex etc. We didn’t even stop on that floor.

Nobody’s laughing about a shrimp burger at Wendy’s!

Some women had hijabs and some had full burqas. I had never seen a woman eating with a burqa, which covers everything but her eyes. She had to lift it away from her face and then spoon the food in under the bottom.

This city seems very modern and sophisticated. The transportation infrastructure was the best anywhere we have seen. We didn’t have much time because we needed to get back, but it was an interesting and quick visit to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

When we got back to the airport. Alison used the AirAsia lounge to get a luxurious shower. She said it was easily worth the entry price. I found that a bathroom had a free shower. I had no towel or soap for that matter, but I still took a shower and lucky me, found soap in the shower! My dirtbag tendencies are starting to come out.

The kids were mortified, but it felt really good.

Our Air Asia X flight was very uncomfortable. No entertainment, no food or drinks unless you paid for them and uncomfortable seats made for a miserable 8 hours. Add in the Chinese kid next to me who had serious cold and this was not fun. Then we had an hour in Australia to basically get on/off the plane and then 4 more hours. But we made it and we are fine. So we left at 6:30 am and arrived at 6 pm the next day in Auckland.

Next post will be New Zealand. Alison is a trooper. She is doing her best to press on, but her foot is being stubborn. Our wound care options are not what we have at home, but they are definitely healing. They just are taking way longer than we expected. Pray for her foot to heal quickly as she is going to be very disappointed if she cannot participate in New Zealand hiking, as this was one of her “pillars”.

2 Responses

  1. Dawn Reaves

    Oh Chris,used airport soap and drying off with paper towels! Yes, I am with the kids on this one. 🙂

Leave a Reply